Dr Wee Cho Yaw is a distinguished banker with more than 60 years’ experience and a veteran in the banking, insurance, real estate and hospitality industries.
Dr Wee retired from the SingLand Board in 2023, after more than 30 years at the helm of the SingLand Group. Under his leadership and guidance, the Group’s commercial assets in Singapore grew to 2.7 million square feet of office space and 1 million square feet of retail space, cementing SingLand’s position as one of Singapore’s leading real estate developers.
Dr Wee has received numerous accolades for his business achievements and support of community welfare, education, and the business community. Among the awards conferred on him include the Distinguished Service Order at Singapore’s 2011 National Day Awards, the ASEAN Business Advisory Council Legacy Award for Singapore in 2017, Honorary Doctor of Letters from the National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University in 2008 and 2014 respectively.
Dr Wee remains as Chairman Emeritus and Honorary Adviser to share his wealth of experience and insights with the Board and Management.
Present Directorship(s) and Other Principal Commitment(s)
- UOL Group Limited* (Chairman)
- Haw Par Corporation Limited* (Chairman)
- United Overseas Bank Limited* (Chairman Emeritus and Honorary Adviser)
- Pan Pacific Hotels Group Limited (Chairman)
- Nanyang Technological University (Pro-Chancellor)
- Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Honorary President)
- Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Associations (Honorary President)
- Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan (Honorary President)
- Wee Foundation (Chairman)
- Chung Cheng High School (Chairman)
* Listed companies
Past Directorship(s) in Listed Companies and Principal Commitments held over the preceding five years
- Far Eastern Bank Limited (till May 2018)
- United Overseas Bank Limited (till April 2018)
- Singapore Land Group Limited (till March 2023)
- United Overseas Insurance Limited (till April 2023)
Academic and Professional Qualification(s), Achievement(s) and Award(s)
- Chinese high school education
- ASEAN Business Advisory Council Legacy Award for Singapore (2017)
- Honorary Doctor of Letters, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (2014)
- The Distinguished Service Order, Singapore National Day Award (2011)
- The Asian Banker Lifetime Achievement Award (2009)
- Honorary Doctor of Letters, National University of Singapore (2008)
- Credit Suisse-Ernst & Young Lifetime Achievement Award (2006)
- Businessman of the Year, Singapore Business Awards (2001 and 1990)